A program for children in Kandiyohi County 0 – 5 years old. This is an exciting reading program designed for pre-school children and their families. Many people believe that children learn to read and write in kindergarten or first grade. Developing literacy skills begins at birth through everyday interactions – sharing books, telling stories, singing songs, talking to one another, or pointing out and naming objects. Families-parents, grandparents, and older siblings play a powerful role in preparing young children for future school success and in becoming self confident and motivated learners.
How it works:
- Register your child and receive a book bag and reading log to take home.
- Read with your child. Mark off each circle on the log for each book you read.
- Bring your logs in and show a librarian. Children can receive prizes after each 100 books.
- Each child who completes 1,000 books before kindergarten will get a T-shirt, social media shoutout, a bookplate with their name to put in their favorite library book, and a photo on our Wall of Fame!
How Long Does it Take?
- 3 books a night is 1,095 in a year.
- 10 books a week is 1,040 in two years.
Go as fast or as slow as you want or need. Remember, you can even start with a newborn!
This Program is Sponsored by:
Bremer Bank, Jennie-O Foods Inc., Walmart, Willmar Area Childhood Initiative, Willmar Friends of the Library, and the Willmar Public Library